Saturday, May 28

Stash challenge :o)

DSCF9190 by littletreats
DSCF9190, a photo by littletreats on Flickr.

Sunday, May 22


Ok guys only 2 more posts before I get my give-away sorted so please spread the word - the plan is to make a start on my challenge piece for the Bead Buddies forum I told you about last time, and fingers crossed offer it up - let's mix it up a bit!

So I finally finished the cuff, can you believe it?? Overall, for a first attempt, I am pretty pleased with it, but have learned a few lessons on the way:

*When measuring up... Make allowances! (I was going to put this onto a metal cuff blank... Unfortunately it wasn't quite long enough... Oops!)
*Cut as close as you dare to the edge of the threads... I could have done with cutting the backing and ultra suede closer to create a closer edge to the beadwork
*Possibly do a row of brick stitch around the piece before doing the edging that pulls the ultra suede onto the backing? If I had realised, I probably would have done this, to get rid of the bit of backing that's still visible
*Don't be afraid to dive in and let the beadwork create itself! I had no clue where I was going next whilst I was making this, and although it is completely random, I love the finished piece

All in all, this has got me pretty excited for my Laura McCabe class in September! I can't wait, it's going to be a fab day and hopefully we'll meet a great bunch of people at the same time. Here are a couple more views, I went for a chain finish with the clasp, which I had to have as the cardboard didn't quite dry bent enough when I attached it to the beading. (Kindly modelled by my mum who then tried to hide it when I left!!)

Aanyway, I need to start brainstorming what on earth I am making for you wonderful people, so I will be back soon to update you.

Tuesday, May 3

Back in civilisation

Well, after a week of no internet (yeah, cheers for that Virgin!) I'm finally back on and have just had a proper catch up with as many of you as is possible in under an hour. I did find a sneaky and great little thing that my iPhone can actually be used to access the internet on my PC, which would be great if I had unlimited usage, but as I'm limited to 500MB I had to use it sparingly.

Anyway, we have a new challenge on Bead Buddies... Sooz challenged us to show up to 3 bits in our beady stashes that we haven't figured out what to do with yet. We have to make something out of the norm from what we normally make (eek!) and be super proud of our achievement - and we have until the end of May. HELP! Here are my 3:

Now, I think that Laura's lampwork cuppy-cake is calling out the most at the moment, so I will probably work on something for that first. I'm still brainstorming the others - the aventurine leaf is a bit of a beast, it's 25-30mm or so, and I've no clue what to put with it! As for the wooden hearts, I'm thinking if I get chance that I might do a bit of bead embroidery (I know it's not 'out of the norm' per se, but I haven't done an awful lot of embroidery beading...) 

So, I'm currently half way through another pearly necklace:

ANNNND... Drum roll please... I have finally finished the Spring Necklace that I started over a year ago:

Stay tuned for some better photos - these are just a gist of the finished piece, I'm so pleased with it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...